During the first world war (1914-1918) Flanders Fields was a major battle theatre. More then a million soldiers from 50 different countries got injured or killed in battle. Entire cities and villages got destroyed with their population on the run for shelter.
Today the region is filled with large cemeteries and memorial sites, remembering us of the past.
Things to do in Flanders Fields:
- Visit the Menin Gate in Ypress and watch the last post.
- Visit the Flanders Fields Museum in Ypress
- Visit the Dixmude threnches of death
- Visit the Dixmude Ijzertoren
- Visit Memorial Museum Passendale
- Visit Tyne Cot cemetery in Passendaee
- Visit Bellewaerde Parc
How to visit Flanders Fields:
Flanders Fields is best explored by car, camper, tourbus or by bike.
Public transportation will get you to most cities and landmarks.